Thursday, June 08, 2006

My Butt

The ride from Colorado to Florida had a few injuries. Some were material things like my watch and the loosened passing light (which I repaired last night). Others resulted in numbness that just never seemed to go away. Two weeks later my left thumb is still slightly numb and my butt is still numb. I would think that after 14 days the blood would return and the nerve endings would be nourished. I shouldn't still have that dead-butt feeling, but I do. It's not as bad as it was on the ride, but I just don't understand the duration. So, among the items I had decided to purchase to enhance the bike is a seat. The bike was advertised with a custom Mustang seat. It turned out that it didn't have it and the seller agreed to push a couple hundred back to me to cover half the cost of the seat. He's a great guy and his honesty is greatly appreciated. I did some research on common seats purchased for the Roadstar and got a lot of mixed reviews. I actually found many that didn't like the Mustang for long rides (over 200 miles) and several that recommended other seats. In the industry there are a couple companies that have always risen above others in their catagory. In motorcycle seats it has to be Corbin. But Corbin seats do not come with low prices. Most of these seats don't come with low prices. A serious thought in my consideration was the backrest. I looked at seats with backrests (Mustang makes a good 3 piece system for about $600 that includes a backrest) and separate rider backrests. The separates looked like an afterthought and were quickly dismissed. I looked at Saddlemen and Granucci, too. There were several brands, but my money came down to the Mustang and the Corbin made for Yamaha. Mustang systems require that you replace your Yamaha pillion seat (passenger) to one of theirs. I didn't like that as much, but it was tolerable. The Corbin included stitching and lines that followed the contours of the bike. It also sinks back another inch and has good back support without the backrest. I'd include the backrest for additional support on those 600 to 800 mile days. I think I've made my decision, but there's time to change my mind. I'll upload photos of the final product. I'm coming up on a year soon when I'd like to ride the four corners. The seat I get may be the one that has to take me on this journey around the country for up to 3 weeks. This and many other factors are considered when looking at the comfort of My Butt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home