Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Black Seduction and the Night

Raining all afternoon didn't mean it would stain the night. In fact, the humidity cooled the summer air as you entered second gear. It was just the kind of night to entice a ride, especially after several days of rain and travel that took me away from the bike. As I left, it was so nice that I forgot to put on eye protection and had to turn around after a half-mile reminded me. The night was almost bug free and the clean air just felt incredible. I returned and left in minutes with night glasses on my face. My black bike had just had a couple hundred dollars of chrome added to it and a bit a leather. But I barely noticed as the ride took on that hypnotic relaxation mode that makes you want to keep going and never turn back. I rode with the traffic lights taking the path with as few stops as possible. The motorcycle didn't seem to want to stop and neither did I. I rode to the next town and circled back. I was supposed to stop to pick up ice cream, but I just could manage it as I passed grocery stores repeatedly. The idea of pausing the ride; of leaving the cool wind behind seemed ludicrous. But eventually I had to face reality and begin the process to return home. I stopped to pick up the chocolate Hagen Das. Coming out of the store I noticed my bike for the first time from a distance since installing the chrome pieces and studded leather bra. Sitting there under the parking lot light with reflections bouncing from the studs and chrome, the black bike just seemed to want to be ridden. It was a short trip home from the store with only one true obstacle: stopping. You can't beat a late night ride. Traffic is low. The air is cool. It's peaceful except for the sound of the motor. The solitude of the night and the soft air passing over you defines the feeling of freedom you get riding a motorcycle. In October, we're organizing 360-Full-Moon rides. Let us know if you'd like help coordinating one in your area. It's a great ride with the moon, the wind, and the seduction of the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home